Thread: Hi there I'm new and have a question

Hi there I'm new and have a question

Hi there,

I am a designer and have quite a few years of experience with photoshop. I know how to do most things but one thing I have seen recently has really got me stumped. I am currently cutting out products with the path and magic eraser tools so that they can be used in a number of differing scenes with different backgrounds etc. These products have been photographed on a white background so that the contrast makes it easier for this kind of job.

The problem is is that the products come on transparent packaging and contain transparent plastic materials. As such the white will show through on any of these parts of the products. Is there an easy way of making these areas actually transparent? So that when placed on a black background for example they do not look wrong. I have seen some PSD files where this has been achieved but have no idea how to go about it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Aha I think I have it solved!

What I have done is isolate the areas that are not see through and placed them on separate layers. Then made the bottom layer (the see through plastic) opacity about 50%. After that I have adjusted the brightness and contrast of this layer to bring out edges, and dilute the whiteness as much as possible. It seems to have worked a treat. If anyone wishes I can post the before and after images into here.