Thread: Which Lens

Which Lens

Ok coming up with a problem. I am not sure what kind of lens I should be using for an event. It is a concert, with low light except for on stage there will be plenty.. and there will be quite a bit of movement on stage... So what kind of lense would be best for this application... I an not worried so much about the zoom aspect of the lens as I will be doing photography for the group and have prime spots to take them. What would be the best to use for the low light and motion?

If you are intersted in the Camera being used : Canon Rebel T3i using the Canon EF lens series.

I appreciate all the help I get on this site. Your help has been invaluable in my getting started in Photography, I have gotten quite a few great shots now =).

Barrista
    A little late to the thread here. Sorry I missed this completely.

When shooting stage shows, the wider the aperture the better. When I shoot bands, I'm shooting with an 80-200 f/2.8, a 50mm f/1.8 and a 28-105 f/4.

The stage lights appear bright enough but I find I'm shooting at ISO 2500 at f/2.8 at 1/200th second.

You can shoot with kit lenses at f/5.6 but you'll get motion blur unless you can bump your ISO to 6400.

Watch the metering. Stage shows can be very contrasty and throw your meter off, if you're framing loosely.

Go with a prime lens if you have one.