Thread: The Most Expensive Photograph in the World

Above the ground Under the stars Between the wind

The Most Expensive Photograph in the World

Certainly not my cup of tea, but then art is subjective, right?

Art is subjective, that's correct, but still... I have hoped for a bit more, when I saw the title of this thread :-)

I think it's a great piece, and well-worth the price paid.

I read that article you linked to, and found a lot of comments saying that everyone and their dog could have taken that photograph. But if they could, why didn't they? And sell it for $4.3 million themselves...

Reminds me of a story about Columbus when he found the Indies:

Columbus was dining with many Spanish nobles when one of them said: 'Sir Christopher, even if your lordship had not discovered the Indies, there would have been, here in Spain which is a country abundant with great men knowledgeable in cosmography and literature, one who would have started a similar adventure with the same result.' Columbus did not respond to these words but asked for a whole egg to be brought to him. He placed it on the table and said: 'My lords, I will lay a wager with any of you that you are unable to make this egg stand on its end like I will do without any kind of help or aid.' They all tried without success and when the egg returned to Columbus, he tapped it gently on the table breaking it slightly and, with this, the egg stood on its end. All those present were confounded and understood what he meant: that once the feat has been done, anyone knows how to do it.

Photography is an art and art is priceless. It cannot have any value. Even if a person offers millions of dollars then also it cannot be purchased. However in my opinion, being a passionate photographer, I consider painting having greater priority then photography. A photographer shows his art through a gadget but a painter shows his art through his hands and Leonardo da Vinci's two masterpieces "Monalisa" and "The last supper" are the best art work of an artist.

That much for such photo? I hope it looks much better in real life.