Thread: InDesign or Quark?

InDesign or Quark?

Since I'm sure there are alot of more experienced users than my self, I would love some input on which you prefer? And some pros and cons would be really helpful...

InDesign all the way!

I used to be a Quark user way back. 3.2 was the last version I had, InDesign kills it. Better integration with other Adobe products, more stable etc, etc. I honestly can't compare with the latest version of Xpress though, because I left that program years ago after suffering with the arrogant customer service and lame upgrade cycles that came at that time.

Evolution, Welcome to the Café!

To add to Colin’s reply, I would highly recommend InDesign.
    I have been an Adobe software user for years.

I never purchased Quark but I have helped train others migrating from Quark and Word for page layout.

Take the time to learn the basics and go from there, depending upon your area of interest.

To get you started, I would recommend Lynda.com and supplement it with a few books.

Hope that helps.

Kathryn

We actually have a DVD from Sandee Cohen (Wrote a number of books) on learning InDesign, it's a great starter guide

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/video/p...sign-Intro.htm

Barrista

Wink

I have used Quark into the version 6.5 - ver. 5 was the last one that really did anything and the only reason I used it was the reasoning that the printer I used almost demanded it. So in order to get the job I kept buying the upgrades. They really do have a lot of good features and the way the software handles font issues is really commendable.

Back to the question - I agree with Colin hands down. InDesign is very user friendly, handles fonts and images with a great amount of accuracy.

When it comes to color output, it just makes life easier. Quark really lacks when it comes to quality control and customer issues. They sat back on their butts too long and now they are paying for it!

Good luck. Do yourself a favor and buy InDesign in the Creative Suite package and you are good to go for any design challenge that comes up.

EDIT: No, I don't work for Adobe. Wish I did!
    Last edited by Cappy; 09-17-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks for the great info everyone, it was really helpful, I was leaning towards InDesign considering I use PS, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I see no reason to use all Adobe products.

InDesign hands down!
    I am a professional Graphic Designer and I agree with all the other posts. I don't know any studios any more that use quark, except for to update old files from many years ago, and I am pretty sure InDesign is the market leader. It makes it so much easier to have everyone using the same software and there are lots of times when I receive InDesign files from others, or provide mine to a client with the confidence that if something happens to me, the majority of others out there will be able to edit my files. Plus, if you are using the other adobe products it is so fluid to work between them.

Thanks for the input...

great job thanks for the interesting update
    Last edited by johnson33; 01-27-2014 at 04:05 AM.
    Allen123