Looking to go freelance, any help on how to get started
Hi everyone, I am a graphic designer looking to go freelance since I have been made redundant, I have not much idea how to get started. Any ideas on how to source clients and invoicing or any info at all would be greatly appreciated, cheers all for checking out my post.
Heya. You can start looking for clients around your area, it's what I did. I know it's a tough competition out there, so you should know how to sell yourself. Know what you got, know your edge over the other freelancers out there, and present that to your clients. It's how I won most of my clients
There is no "one way" to start freelancing. Having done it for 8 years prior and now working with freelancers at my company let me shares some tips.
1. Polish your portfolio, if you don't have a website, get one!
2. Update your work in the portfolio as often as you can.
3. Foster new relationships and continue to grow existing ones.
4. Don't undersell yourself just to "get work" unless its life/death.. but be very cautious.
5. Continue to learn new things and focus some of your efforts on advancing your personal brand and business skills.
Again these are only some points and Annalyn had some great ones as well.
One exception to the "Know what you got" link. Point #1, I disagree. Just because YOU don't know how to do something doesn't mean you can't get someone to help. This is how I first dealt with complex web development as I was learning. It was the best thing too because I got to go over that code and learn from doing.