Thread: Shifting Image Capture Time

Decaf

Shifting Image Capture Time

I'd like to be able to sync the timestamps of images from two different cameras (primary and assistent photographers') that were used shooting a wedding. I didn't think to sync the cameras before shooting, and the clocks differed from each other by a few minutes. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but when I combine all the photos and sort by capture time, they obviously don't line up correctly. As part of my work flow I always batch rename all my RAW files using Bridge to the format: yymmdd-hhmmss.NEF This always gives everyone of my images has a unique name. (Multiple images captured in a single second during rapid fire are indexed.)

In LR2 I know you can easily change the entire timestamp of a single image easily, and you can also easily shift the time stamp of a group of photos, albeit, as far as I can tell, only in increments of full hours.

Anybody know how I can quickly shift the timestamp of over 500 photos by exactly 2 minutes and 35 seconds?

bdbolin
    Is there an automator action?

Decaf
    An action would be sweet, but it would have to be able to read the existing timestamp and add 2m35s to it and replace the old value with this new one.

Maybe I don't know enough about actions (yet), but don't actions just repeat a series of set operations? As far as I understand them, they can't vary on their own, unless they pause for expected user input. But pausing for user input in this case wouldn't really be effective.

It'd be nice if the LR2 setting that allows you to shift the hour portion of the time stamp would also allow you to shift the minutes and seconds as well.

Perhaps the LR designers never thought this would be needed, but when syncing two different cameras, it really is.

Cheers,
    Martin

Since it's only reading metadata I would assume you could write a script (or hire someone to write it for you) to change these. Write the script to work on the XML (XMP) Files

If that scares you check out poundhill, they have a bunch of advanced metadata tools

That’s the effect of not synching the cameras, and yes I do understand that sometimes it slips our minds. Did you manage to find a solution to your problem that was automated?

1.Select the images you want to change.
    2.Choose Metadata>Edit Capture Time.
    3.In the Edit Capture Time dialog box, select, "Adjust To A Specified Date And Time".
    4.Enter the new time you want for the active image of the selection.
    5.All the other image's capture times will be adjusted by the same amount of time.
    Last edited by annak; 08-26-2012 at 03:31 PM.