Thread: Photo datatbase - Keywords

Photo datatbase - Keywords

Hey everyone! I've been looking into streamlining my life, at work and with my own projects. I am a photographer and I work for a photographer and I really want to figure out an efficient way to organize.

One thing is the photos themselves. I've been trying to assign keywords in Adobe Bridge CS3 so we can find images of a certain type easily and quickly but I keep thinking of new keywords and I'm not sure if I'm missing some or something. I'm wondering if there is any resource that offers a database structure, so to speak, with predefined keywords that I can input and use in Bridge and maybe LR (in the future) I found this: http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/ but I'm not sure that's really what I need and I don't really want to invest much in it unless it's really life-changing.

Thanks for any suggestions that you can give me to help me in the re-organization project. I just don't want to spend a bunch of time (I already have to a point) only to find I should have done it a different way.

hi there silver doves, i have no real info to offer except to say once again that LR2 is a bit more user-friendly tool as a tool for keywording. but with that said, the problem is not keywording, it's organizing. it's just that programmers have given creatives keywording as a solution, which in typical geek fashion is not really what we want: not only do we have to organize our photos, now we have to organize our keywords and keep track of metadata for all our photos. I don't know what the answer is, but I know what it isn't...and dealing with a keyword library and keywording tools for over 40,000 photos is not an exercise that i care to go through...although i try, as what is the alternative. personally, i have high hopes for GridIron Flow out later this month, which appears to be a different parigdm then the one given to us by adobe and others. anyway, if u find keywording too much of a chore in bridge, LR makes it a bit easier. the good news is they both write complaint keywords.

as for the magic of building useful databases, i guess taking a class on information science is in the cards for all of us.

Thanks! I'm getting LR2 within the next couple weeks so that's good for me. We don't use Lightroom at work, however, at least not yet, so I'm still trying to find a good way to organize there. I'm working on it. Thanks again!

The beta for GridIron Flow is out on the 18th. Suggest u try that...its free for a bit. If that's no good we are just sunk...with thousands of files piling up on terabytes of drives...our office computers (if put all together) are going to take up as much space as an old IBM 370. So perhaps we are not progressing after all...