Thread: Playhead Problem with Training DVD

Hybrid View

Decaf

Playhead Problem with Training DVD

I am new to PhotoshopCAFE. I just purchased my first PhotoshopCAFE training DVD, 'Photoshop Secrets CS3 for Digital Photographers'. I've viewed the first 15 tutorials and find the content and presentation excellent.

The problem I'm experiencing is that I cannot accurately reset the playhead. For example, when I'm viewing a tutorial and want to replay, say, the last 10 or 20 seconds, I move the playhead back but it leaps forward when I release the mouse button. I have to move the playhead back 2 or more minutes in order to review the desired section.

Obviously this is awkward and time consuming. Is my DVD defective or is this behavior typical? Any tips or comments are appreciated.

That is actually a limitation of the current Flash player. The scrubber is not very accurate, which is a shame, but not specifically a bug in the PhotoshopCafe Video player.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Decaf
    Thanks, Matt, for the reply. The Video Workshop DVD from Adobe CS3 also runs in Adobe Flash Player 9. However, it does not have the same scrubber problem. I can move the scrubber anywhere in the tutorial and get an instant replay from the point where I release the mouse. I did notice that the Video Workshop DVD displays more playback information (current time/total time) than does the PhotoshopCAFE DVD, which gives no playback information. Would this have to do with settings used when the recording was made? Perhaps that accounts for the scrubber problem during playback.

Just another thought, is there any adjustment I can make to my system or software that might help with this problem? Thanks.

Off hand I am not sure what causes this issue, however I will investigate it further and post back anything that we find. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Displaying the playback time has nothing to do with player performance. This is just done programatically calculating elapsed time versus total time. This used to be standard in FVP v1, but was removed in v2.

The FVW on the disk uses a newer version of the Flash Player than the Photoshop CS3 Secrets disk. In the future we will have better scrubbing (Now it's available to us). Part of this is the keyframe interval during encoding. Increasing keyframing makes scrubbing better but also increases the file size. The Flash video player has a much smoother scrubbing action during streaming web playback versus progressive encoding.

Looks for new and improved features in our upcoming releases.
    You can also playback any of our videos in Adobe Media Encoder. We have been using Flash for our videos for the last 7 years. The earlier videos took some serious work-arounds to get them working.

Decaf
    Thanks for all the input. I downloaded Adobe Media Encoder. I couldn't get the videos on the DVD to play on it. But, I know nothing about Adobe Media Encoder and spent little time with the help files. I can work from the DVD just fine.

I just want to reiterate, the content and presentation of the tutorials are excellent - clear, relevent, easy to follow, good tips, supporting files, etc.

I'm not a big forum person for a variety of reasons. The response to my first post here has been, in my experience, remarkable. Thanks again.

Sorry I mean Adobe Media Player *blush*
    http://www.adobe.com/products/mediaplayer/

[Edited on 5/8/2008 by kiwicolin]

Decaf
    I downloaded Adobe Media Player and can run the tutorials in it. However, the scrubber problem still exists.

It will be the keyframe interval then during encoding

Ill look into this for future videos