Thread: Drums...

Decaf

Drums...

Well, I was trying to think of something easy to model (I'm a beginner to 3d) and, being that I play a few instruments, I decided a drumset would be fairly easy to model.

very nicely done with the modeling (though id like to see a detail render)

As far as texturing though i would like to see some more work put into the blacks. Very dark and shows no detail. Maybe lighting?

I agree with Politik... I would look to tweak that lighting to show more detail. As an ex-drummer, I would also move the hi-hat cymbal forward, and the stool to the left... otherwise you're going to have some real back pain problems.
    I would also try to get the bell shape on the cymbals more rounded?

Decaf
    Heh, thanks for the feedback. Like I said -- I'm very new to modeling. As far as the lighting goes I was looking for the kind of spotlight "showcase" type feel.

The shells themself have a white noise texture to them, I'll post some pics with different lighting later on today.

As far as the details go there really aren't too many details. This is my second 'real' attempt at modeling something and the first attempt and modeling on different layers and then composing the separate layers into one.

Decaf
    Upped the lighting just enough to see the fade on the drums...

PS: I've been teaching myself to use Blender via tutorials and whatnot. I still haven't gotten to the lighting or materials sections, only mesh modeling so far. So pardon the shoddy lighting

I think that's pretty darn good for a beginner, it almost looks real.

I think I liked the black drums better but that just personal taste.

I think the bass drum would also look better with white, and maybe some logo on it.

Things I think you could improve:

The cymbals don't seem to be 'smoothed', by that I mean smooth shading, not mesh tessalation, I don't think they need more polys, it's just the light is catching the edges of the polys that are there.

The stands need ALOT more specular, right now they look dull grey, they need to be shiny chrome. Maybe some of that's lighting, maybe an enviroment map would be a huge improvement so they reflect something. (colored lights, dark bar, ect...)

That's about it, maybe add a bottom light for the triangulation, make it very dim, just enough to bring out some more shape. 3 lights is usually considered the best, looks like you have 2 coming from approximately the same direction, the 3rd should come from the opposite side.

And some sticks man!

Designer of Life
    I think its very nice work for a beginner. I wish I can learn how to model too

lol when i was a beginner i would have though a drum set would have been an expert type model.

Looks Great!