Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate to sugarcoat my words.

Designer of Life

I hate to sugarcoat my words.

I am critical in my comments. That I will never deny.

I hate to sugarcoat my words, and I know that my critical comments may not be well taken by many.

But in no way am I being unfriendly or showing unfriendliness, I am just offering my dead honest straightforward un-sugarcoated true views/opinions/comments.

So if anyone's unable to take my straightforward critical views/opinions, please state clearly enough in your post "rayvolvez, please do not comment/critique on my works" and I will DEFINITELY refrain from even typing an alphabet.

And if I did ever offend anyone with my critical honest straightforward views, i extend my sincere apologies and be sure that I will not dwell my time on offering any views on your works ever again. Just let me know via u2u.

This post is made in precaution of being labelled unfriendly and harsh.

and oh wow if my comments/critics are that hated, then good, I will just cease all postings for good.

[Edited on 8/13/2007 by rAyVoLvEz]

I will have to say that I like best when the critique is honest and straight to the point, those who post you should have their own thoughts about their work and then listen to others and grow on this. That doesnt help if your friends says it is nice anyway what it is, you need critique to get better.

I've also posted this comment on dayglo's thread "Someone point me in the right direction".

I think there are a couple of issues here:

1. Anyone who posts work on this, or any other forum, or who produces work that will be seen in the big wide world, automatically sets themselves up for both praise and criticism. The fact that art, illustration and design is completely subjective, means that not everyone will like what you've done.
    2. Elaine has always called it as she sees it, according to her subjectivity. And she is always honest, and very often helpful.
    3. A forum such as the Cafe, has an excellent blend of artists... different age groups, cultures, art styles, and just about every level of expertise and experience, from total newbs to codgers like myself with over 20 years of ad industry experience. That means plenty different viewpoints.
    4. The concept of "outdated" is also relative... I see so-called "new" stuff being produced that I've seen used probably before some of the Cafe members were even born.
    5. The value of a forum such as this that it is an environment that encourages and enables everyone to learn.

So, in a nutshell, explore, play and learn. And above all, have fun while you're at it!

OK, lecture from the old(er) bloke over.

Originally posted by dogtrombone

2. Elaine has always called it as she sees it, according to her subjectivity. And she is always honest, and very often helpful.
    I think a lot of what Elaine comments on isn't really subjective criticism at all. I think she is far more objective and concrete. More often than not, Elaine makes constructive criticism on people failing at simple design and functionality fundamentals which are not subjective. If you pay very close attention to what she says about others works it's usually about something technical. For instance, telling people not to over use filters or for god's sake stop using bevel/emboss on every single piece of literature on an image. On occasion she will touch on something subjective but I think anyone with professional design experience/education will agree on almost all comments Elaine makes on the novice works here on the forum.

Elaine does a very nice job being constructively critical all the while remaining objective and dead on and I can't think of a time that i've disagreed with her.

With Elaine giving mostly objective and concrete constructive criticism, is it really fair to get upset or hurt by her? She takes the time to post on EVERY work that is posted here and she is only trying to help us all.

Keep up the comments Elaine, even if people fuss about it, you are only helping out the forum.

Point taken, altered sky. Elaine does indeed frequently comment on fundamental design principles as well. I apologize for my clumsy wording, my context was more specifically referring to aspects that would fall into the subjective category.

I am also on record in previous posts on complimenting Elaine on her passion and commitment to her work, this forum, and design in general. So I agree, keep posting Elaine... just slow down a bit so that we can catch up to your (nearly 8000) posts!

this is really cool but at the same time a good reminder that it's ok to turn your computers off for a while and get out of the house....it's only a forum people. please lighten up to keep it a positive exchange for all. thanks

Originally posted by TechZsue
    this is really cool but at the same time a good reminder that it's ok to turn your computers off for a while and get out of the house....it's only a forum people. please lighten up to keep it a positive exchange for all. thanks
    Well said... except that, to someone who says "It's all about the bass", as an ex-drummer I can still hear the manic basslines from my manic bass guitarist thumping in my head, I really have to work at lightening up!
    Cheers!

Regular
    too much sugar rots your teeth anyway!

Barrista
    What brings all of this up? Never sweat the "small stuff" and believe me it is all small stuff! Subjectivly speaking, of course. TechZ could not have said it better.
    Take a walk in the woods, reach down and grab a hand full of earth and become a part of life. This is only 1's and 0's. If you find it more than that, then you truly do need a break.
    Ray, you are what you are and should never have to apologize for that!

All the things are been said here! but here are mine!:

1. IF i ask for an C&C (commens and critics!) it means i want it. I'm not fishing to get good critics but the ones that give me a clear opinion are the best to learn from! IT doesn't mean that C&C that says "it's bad or i don't like it" but the best C&C is the "why part", why i don't like something OR why i like something.... That is information i can do something with it.....
    2. IF there are people that i don't want C&C from i'll tell that straight forward!! because i'm honest too!
    3. Talking to other people online (like msn, forums, ect) is very hard! when you talk to someone, the other person can see you and see what you mean and see you're handsignals, but with the only thing to say, TYPING, there are no handsignals, or smiles on faces when they mean something as a "joke" (sick jokes aren't funny!)

If you post something then be aware it could give you some "bad" critics.... REMEMBER: it's the bad critics you want because you can learn from it and that improve's you're work.....

'nuff said here!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast