Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripped d'r-studio's background image!

Designer of Life

Ripped d\'r-studio\'s background image!

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cafe/vi....php?tid=37136

I’m freaking hell trembling from anger now! 2.24a.m. and I discover my website being ripped!

And it is a exact rip of my background image, no change in dimension, just a change of file name.

LOL I found it similar and it took me 3 secs to realise that it was the background image that I used on my website d’r-studio www.rayvolvez.com !

Take a look here.

vs

the one on the left is my ripped background from http://www.scotlandcruise.net and the original is the one on the right mine from http://www.rayvolvez.com but it makes no difference since they are exactly the same!

Even the file size are the same! 0.69KB!

The site screenshots for comparison :
    www.scotlandcruise.net

d’r-studio www.rayvolvez.com

As to the differences at the bottom, it was only because he set the background to repeat x-y, while mine only repeats horizontally and the remaining is a black background!

aren’t they the exact same image, in fact the dimensions remains exactly the same, 17 x 580 px!

Different file name, changing my original filename rightbar.jpg to background2.jpg and image hosted on different webspace, webserver doesn’t make it a different piece!

Do you think you can get away with ripping just cause you changed the file name?

Will you ripper get a life and get down and do your own work?! Just what do you mean and what are you trying to do, ripping my work?

The site who ripped me : http://www.scotlandcruise.net

Let me quote the front and what was written on his site :

Wether you need a new promotional strategy or a simple edvert for the next weeks papers or a completely new branding, it is important to consider the image and values you want to present to your customer.At Next gen our friendly team are thoughtful and highly creative while they have a complete focused approach to their work.We seek to understand the qualities your company needs and that is why NG are with you every step of the way.
    Let me put it this way, I am amazed, by the claim of being “thoughtful and highly creative” with “a complete focused approach to their work”. Who wouldn’t be?

experience, you are a ripper, and if there’s creativity, it is how creative you thought you are, by changing the file name and hoping that no one will know!

The owner : experience

How I found out : http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cafe/vi....php?tid=37132
    http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cafe/vi....php?tid=37131

& He actually double post a work that he ripped and post in this cafe so blatantly !

I’m burning and fuming inside now!

It is not right to rip in silence, but when you rip and you blatantly post it, as your own work, calling it your company’s site, what the hell is this supposed to mean?

So what’s next for you to rip?

The Legal Notice on d’r-studio is there for a proper purpose!

Let me ask you, where is your dignity, your pride and your sense of shame publicising a work made primarily with a ripped background image from my site??!!!

I await your response, experience, and I hope to receive an apology letter for this rip!

...it is a design project and i made it up, it isnt actually a company, it is made up, i am being evaluated on it. OK, no one will visit it or buy from it properly. it is a test assigned by my teacher.

And secondly, i searched google (background images) and this was there so i took it. i apologise as i now realise its your background. i have changed it, i didnt intentionally take it from your site, nor have i seen your site till now when you started shouting at me. i looked and it was yours, ok?

i dont appreciate you shouting at me like that, i didnt set out to take your image.

"Next Gen Designs" is an assignment from college and not an actual business so get a grip a yerself.

**Edited for offensive language

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by PNeal]

Regular
    Wow, looks like we have a good object lesson here.

experience - Just because you found it on google, doesn't mean you can just take it, its not googles to begin with. If anyone is going to borrow/take somthing from a search engine, at least look at where its comming from.

And because your teach had a project you were being graded on, shouldn't the work be yours and not some one elses? Is your teacher aware that your "borrowed" parts to creat this? I'm assuming no, since it was a DESING project, which assumes YOU did the DESIGN on it. You might fool your teacher but when you get out in the realworld like Colin and others, you won't have a leg to stand on and if you have to resort to "borrowing/stealing" others desing work, I doubt you'll last long.

rayvolvez - You have a right to get upset but I think you jumped the gun here. You assumed that you were getting ripped (and from your research it would seem so) but getting all the facts first and maybe posting your concerns in a less hostil manner would be more effective. After all, you catch more flys with honey as they say. BUT based on the reply its obvious to me, your background was RIPPED for a school project that some one was graded on, based on a desing that was NOT all theirs....It makes your wonder how much more of that desing was "borrowed" to get the project done.

Anyhow, my $0.02 on this issue.

I'm interested in what others views are on this...and a Professional view from Colin would be nice as well. I don't think yelling and flaming this person is in order, but more of an education on the subject. After all, Digital rights issues is a grey enough area as it is, and educating people in a polite manner will yeild more positive results. Flamming will only make the other person become more defensive and probably more likely to "RIP" again.

....so now I guess that makes this my $0.04 ?

Designer of Life
    Thanks FX77. I'm not gonna start jumping the gun again. Last night the lack of sleep took toll on my temper.

But to answer to some of your points, experience...

Originally posted by experience
    god get a fecking grip ya mad prik, it is a design project and i made it up, it isnt actually a company, it is made up, i am being evaluated on it. OK, no one will visit it or buy from it properly. it is a test assigned by my teacher.
    It amazes me to think that certain student nowadays rip others to complete their work without thinking hard or feeling bad. You verbal abuse me for outlining the whole case as a rip.

Your design, as the screenshot shown, was made up of my background image, and so you are ok with being evaluated on it.

I do not mind people/students asking me how certain things were done, but I mind alot if you rip me and claim it as your work to your teacher. In that, that is not fair. Whether it is a make up company or not, the fact that you are lying to your teacher is a case on its own.

I'm a first year uni student at the moment, but for me, when I build something, when I do a piece of work, I can take reference from others, but I will not rip. Because I value originality and I wish to call my creations "mine".

The cafe's motto : Create, don't steal.

What you have done, is a blatant theft of my intellectual property and taking it to your teacher is just not right.

On to the second point...

Originally posted by experience
    And secondly, i searched google (background images) and this was there so i took it. i apologise as i now realise its your background. i have changed it, i didnt intentionally take it from your site, nor have i seen your site till now when you started shouting at me. i looked and it was yours, ok?

i dont appreciate you shouting at me like that, i didnt set out to take your image.
    Try replicating the google search or rather tell me the keywords you used to generate my image. It is not possible. I can type "background image rayvolvez", "background rayvolvez", "background d'r-studio", or simply "background" or "background image", I will never get it.

The simple logic being, the image is not named background.jpg or a name that suggests background and it was a blank alt tag not even specifying it as background explicitly. Also, there were no keywords in my site tat suggests backgrounds. The possibility of google classifying my image as background, is extremely low or at least not in the front pages. So if it did happen, how many pages did you travel?

I'm sceptical and I seriously doubt the possibility of a google search. Unless you can prove to me otherwise. I would believe that it was directly down from my site.

So it was "intentionally" and you knew where it was from. Also, by the google image search engine, when you click on a thumbnail to download a image, it will create a frameset, the top being the image, the bottom frame will be my site.

Therefore, there isn't a reason for you to claim that you do not know where its from.

Perhaps you did not "set out to take my image" but the fact remains that you did and you did it without feeling guilt. Whether it is only a project or not, well, you ripped and that is the truth. You might want to bring up the case to your teacher. Honesty is always something good.

I thank you for removing it.

I always welcome enquiries on photoshop and I will gladly help anyone or answer any questions if I can. But I do not appreciate being ripped. Thank you.

Designer of Life
    Case close on my part, I know I cant expect an apology from a blatant kid who does not know his limits and the need to apologise.

I only ask him to stop wriggling about regarding his rip process. How he ripped, I guess my outline is clear enough. It can't be google, at least not in my opinion.

and i said sorry, so get over it, i wasnt intending on keeping the image because it was horrible.

Well it isnt just right to use other peoples`works as it isnt right to use someones car without proper permission. Its called stealing right? in the internet world it seems like everyone can own and use evertyhing, so the borders of owning and stealing are badly diluted in peoples`minds. And that seems to be a growing tendency. In this thread the ripper said that it was for a school or for a teacher. This means that dilution process is going on in the world of education. And thats stinking idea. Many studies show that the internet is full of university graduate works for sell. Thats the way hows the diluting process of right and wrong is taking more space. And i dont like that at all. So i am asking you experience to pass me your teacher`s email because i am going to write about that topic of ripping to her/him.

About rayvolvez`s site its her personal, individual work, it cant be copied without loosing its depth..there is much more involved that u never will know. I m not right person to make assessments about techniques of site because i dont know anything about that topic . But surely i know something about my values which are based on respect of other people, their work, their families and life in general. I hope that in current educational institutes there is still enough of that topic too.

Seems a little too much like a "coincidence" to find Rayvs site out of all the sites in the world to google for background images (someone you knew before from the forums) . I did a google search and dug quite deep and her image didn't appear.

Its a rip without a doubt. If it's "ugly" why take it? Sometimes you can use things, just ask first and most people will let you use things if not tell you how to create them yourself.

One of the biggest ways around a rip, is to just ask first and a lot of issues would be solved.

I would be concerned if teachers are telling students that it's ok to just grab anything of the internet and use it because google images do not provide permissions for usage.

So lessons are learned now - let's move on to something else

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by kiwicolin]

Designer of Life
    Thanks Phil for editing away the vulgar portion.. Just unfortunate the hurt remains, let time wash it off I hope..

Bossman, thanks for speaking.

About the claim and pushing the blame to google, I did a test, by typing "rayvolvez", "d'r-studio", "www.rayvolvez.com", no images from my site is generated, which according to what I understand about the google engine, that would mean taht my images have not yet been indexed yet, by google. My site is barely up for 2 weeks and I got ripped.

I will be emailing Anniesland College (reception@anniesland.ac.uk - the email contact i found from the school's website), the college which experience(Jamie Peacock) belongs to, to alert of this rip case. This is the least I can do, because I wouldn't want to hear of college students ripping others and that is to make sure that Anniesland College did not teach their students to rip. Some proper education is in place, from the lecturer or teacher who assigned this project, to the student.

So with this msg, I end the short vacation from books to cafe in depression and sadness. Now back to my books and exams.

Thanks.

Regular
    First of all I must say that I was going to observe this thread only, but when I read the repsonses from experience I could no longer remain silent.

Experience, you have made some statements attempting to justify flat out stealing another artists work and claiming the work as your own. That act alone is enough for me to form an opinion of your design and or work/educational habits. The statement quoted above not only shows that you have no remorse for what you have done but you have no respect what so ever for others work. I have to ask you though, if you thought the work was horrible why did you not only steal it, but also use it for something that you would or will be evaluated on . . . why?

Experience you have responded with disdain to the person you ripped off as if they have done something to harm you. You are some piece of work I can only imagine how proud your parents are of your actions. If I could find out what school you are attending I would without hesitation let it be known that the work you are being evaluated on is not your own. Even if you have removed it from what your instructor will see you have shown your intent.

About finding the image in a google search I have to doubt that, I searched google for the image for hours and never found it. Further more just because you find something in a google search does not mean it is yours to use, in fact a warning is given that the image could be subject to copyright.

This is for your own good experience, the artists in the design community are in touch with one another, if you try this kind of stuff once you are in the real world you won’t last long. As it stands now you have placed yourself in a position that will not serve you well, even as a student.

It is never not a big deal to steal from somebody regardless of how petty the theft. You may or may not respond to this post. Whether you do or not will not change the fact that you are and shall always be a thief. That much is written in stone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast