PDA

View Full Version : Old landscapes... something different

dogtrombone
02-17-2009, 10:32 AM
After seeing Mr OldGuy's recent series of landscapes, and while going through some of my library, I stumbled on these landscapes that I did sometime in the 90's. They are all taken in the semi-desert Karoo region of South Africa... far from anywhere. All shot on film *gasp!*, and printed with a real printed border, not a Photoshop brush. The colour effect is achieved through real, dinkum, genuine cross-processing (shooting on transparency film which is then processed in the C41 process to give you negatives). *gasp!*

There is a little tweaking of levels, and some selective colour tweaks.

Hope you enjoy them. C&C welcome, and thanks for looking.

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/L01.jpg

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/L02.jpg

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/L03.jpg

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/L04.jpg

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/L05.jpg

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/L08.jpg

[Edited on 2/17/2009 by dogtrombone]

rAyVoLvEz
02-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I like the last 3 :)

(LOL for a moment i thought you applied bevel and emboss to the edges.)

MikeP
02-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Great work on all of them , Barry. You've been holding out on us!

dogtrombone
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Elaine... bevel and emboss... heh heh!

Mike, thanks... I've been shooting since the early 80's, so I've got plenty. Don't tempt me, otherwise I'll flood the Cafe with stuff! :lol Glad you find them interesting anyway.

PM
02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
My favourite is the one with the church... But they're all cool...

Not sure about the fact of having 2 different greens on the same tree, on #2..

yeah, lol, i dont really like the edges very much... but.. on a second look, it gives a nice retro feeling...

:cheers

ryuneo
02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
they look great Barry. I especially like how this dead leaves of the tall palm almost go to the bottom. Do they attract more wildlife when left like this?

dogtrombone
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks PM.

Ry... yes, generally old deadwood and fallen trees, and the old palm leaves are quite good at providing critters with a place to stay. The secret of attracting wildlife to your garden is based on the principles of nesting, resting, breeding and feeding... provide elements that will assist and encourage wildlife in those 4 areas, and it will come.

kirk3d
02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
So what's this "film" of which you speak? I know not of such things. ;)

Seriously though, great work. that cathedral shot is awesome.

I enjoy seeing old school stuff like this, it's a reminder of the root of our art form.

dogtrombone
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Thank you Kirk, my son. Film is a thing of mystery from a time long gone, know only to the aged and wise.

Interestingly, that "cathedral" is a Dutch Reformed church in a tiny town called Aberdeen, slap bang in the middle of the Karoo. What's interesting is that I doubt there's an English speaking resident in Aberdeen... most likely all Afrikaans.

"Old school stuff"?! Mind your choice of words there, Sir!:o:lol

Hermie
02-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I like all the photos. The only think i have to nag about is the photo from the church. It's a bit off and should be straightened (pointing a finger...), turn the photo a little bit clockwise ;)

Always great to see these kind of photos.........

sometimes i wish you would write some tutorials on these kind of things :D

RandyToons
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
I really like the one with the family. I enjoy seeing families from other parts of the world. Good shots Barry.
Thanks, Randy

Politik
02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Very nice!

You mean you dont need photoshop to cross process? interesting

something about #1 really catches my eye. and of course the cathedral. What was that shot with?

tazplay
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
these houses remind me of the movie with jessica alba... sorry lol I had a jessica alba moment :blush

dogtrombone
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Hermie... that's a Dutch Reformed church... you should know that the Dutch don't build straight!:lol Seriously (?)... my left leg is slightly shorter than my right, so nothing is ever straight!

Glad you found it interesting, Mr Toons.

Thorne... indeed... load up with transparency film (slide film), but tell the lab to process C41 rather than E6... and Bob's your aunt! I shot with a Nikon F5, with a 24mm wide angle lens. Early morning light... just after sunrise. I also got some corkers earlier as the sun was coming up in the town cemetery.:lol

[Edited on 2/17/2009 by dogtrombone]

ryuneo
02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I thought that it would be a good habitat for wildlife. i have a pair of blue tits nesting in my garden every year. i have just ordered a nesting box with a built in camera, it has infra red and sound also. i just hope that they nest in it this year :)

dave_100_uk2002
02-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Wow nice shots Barry...My fave is the "dutch church" really love the composition. Very well done sir

PM
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Aberdeen is not a city or place in the Nederlands?

Hermie
02-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Origineel gepost door dogtrombone
Hermie... that's a Dutch Reformed church... you should know that the Dutch don't build straight!:lol Seriously (?)... my left leg is slightly shorter than my right, so nothing is ever straight!

I know it's Dutch DUDE ;) :cheers. Nobody can build like the Dutch :lol

fotodog
02-17-2009, 05:48 PM
You got a nice theme going there with the trees around the homes.

nice work, my friend!!

Nice warmth and interesting and strong compositions.

jusu
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Excellent shots!!

dogtrombone
02-17-2009, 06:57 PM
PM... the only Aberdeen I know is in Scotland.

Thanks Dave Hundreds.

Hermie... only joking!

Fotodog... thanks. The other thing that works for me in these pics is that they really capture the fact that they were shot in very sparsely populated areas, and I think there is that sense of loneliness there.

Jusu... thanks... a little bit different to Finland?:)

tazplay
02-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I get an eerie sense of apocalypse in some of these images. Not only do they display suffering in poverty but suffering in nature taking the dead trees in perspective. Giving the effect almost as though those homes are the last couple standing after an atomic blast.. the time of day giving the certain colour it has also promotes the photos in these ways.

I like emmmm.. sorry about the comment above..

dogtrombone
02-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Interesting comment, Tazplay. The trees are actually mid-winter so they're not actually dead... just lost their leaves. But I can see your viewpoint. It's interesting because they were shot in a little village called Nieu Bethesda, which is situated in a small valley on a stream and is actually a kind of oasis in a dry arid region. In summer, those trees are full of green leaves! But there is still poverty beneath them, and it's a place where life is hard and unforgiving.

For anyone interested, check out http://www.owlhouse.co.za/
Nieu Bethesda is known for the Owl House, a fascinating place with a fascinating story. I've taken many shots there... it is a truly mystical place.

Politik
02-17-2009, 08:10 PM
awesome link! that does truly seem mystical and interesting.

I guess thats for your next post :lol:lol hint

Altered Sky
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I absolutely love these

PM
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
right... scotland...

yeah, i was messing up...

:D

OldGuy
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Excellent shots Barry.

I especially like the 4th one. The dark clouds and trees give it a brooding quality that belies the fact that this is a doctor's office. Makes you hope you never have to go in there.

dogtrombone
02-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Thanks OldGuy... they're not as ethereal as your snowscapes, but then the environments are a lot harsher. And as for the doctor, I'm sure he's a really nice guy, and a totally respectable doctor!:lol