PDA

View Full Version : Recent work

dogtrombone
06-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Here's a 4 page spread I've just done for Mens Health magazine in the UK.
The client supplied me with images of people shot by Adrian Weinbrecht in London, and my brief was to create the environment, and place the figures in a scenario.

These were the pics supplied.
http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/Source-pics.jpg

These were the images I then created with a combination of 3D work and Photoshop.

This was to appear as if the guy was in front of a huge plasma type screen.

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/SURE-1.jpg

Here the guy was being controlled by a robot while he's working out.

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/SURE-2.jpg

This was to show the guy working with some whizz-bang, high tech plasma screens.

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/SURE-3.jpg

And this was to indicate the way that there are likely to be more and more bionic bits being used in human bodies in future.

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/SURE-4.jpg

This is to show how the client did the final page layouts.

http://www.barrydownard.com/users/Barry/forum/Client-layout.jpg

Right, now go out and buy the mag!

By the way, that male model is in fact me... I have to confess.:cool:

jusu
06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
These are absolutely my favourites of all of your new works you have presented today here. Surreal touch always wins:x:cheers

rAyVoLvEz
06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I like these except i think you probably could have made a perfect slice off the man's flesh in the last one, so its more robotic.. the feather/soft edges doesnt win me over.

Brilliant stuff as always sir!

ryuneo
06-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Fantastic work as always Barry! I really like the futuristic scenes in these spreads! My favourite would have to be the one of the robot holding the weights. Superb work... my only small criticism would be to blend the view of the biometrics a bit more realistic. Your 3-D skills are wicked mate

The Scotsman
06-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Very nice work as usual Barry but the model can't be you. There is no egg on the face.:lol

dogtrombone
06-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Jusu... thought you'd like the surreal style!
Elaine, interesting point... but we went with the feathered approach because it worked well with a previous illo I did for this client.
Ry... just get the software and you're halfway there!
Jim, I'm working on some bionic egg.:lol

w@rtistic
06-01-2008, 04:19 PM
nice enviroment lots of details specially like the tech feeling on this

ryuneo
06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
You got it Barry :-) as soon as I get my next pay cheque I am going to buy cinema4D, you have inspired me :-)

dogtrombone
06-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ryuneo
You got it Barry :-) as soon as I get my next pay cheque I am going to buy cinema4D, you have inspired me :-)

Corker, Ry! I look forward to seeing what you come up with... combining your Photoshop skills with 3d will be something worth watching. I see some Staff Picks coming up soon!;)

kiwicolin
06-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Absolutely stunning. The final layout looks awesome "Corker" :)

ryuneo
06-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Barry :-) I will keep you updated

elemento
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Corker sir!

RandyToons
06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Incredible!!!...Great use of space color and text...once again...total visual greatness.

dogtrombone
06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Cheers Raul!

RandyToons, thank you. When do we get to see more of your excellent work, Sir?

the_biggest_lebowski
06-03-2008, 01:34 PM
My favorite part? The guy's reflection in the giant screen. Overachiever...

dogtrombone
06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by the_biggest_lebowski
My favorite part? The guy's reflection in the giant screen. Overachiever...

Well spotted, Biggest Leb. The fun bit there is that the photographer taking the people shots hadn't shot that view, so I had to recreate the pose in Poser 3D, render it and stick it in with computer glue.
Overachiever!... heh!:lol

the_biggest_lebowski
06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by dogtrombone
Overachiever!... heh!:lol

I might even give you the honorary title of "Little Lebowski Urban Achiever!"

dogtrombone
06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
:lol:lol:lol

shadowman
06-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree! Love the reflection on the plasma - and to distort her face just enough to make it look like television.

This theme reminds me of the old "Big Brother" commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

:=offtopic:

Politik
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Excellent work! I love seeing you pros work in stuff like this.

I am a big menshealth fan and do buy the magazines. Im guessing the UK version differs from the US vrsion but for kicks, what months issue is this?

dogtrombone
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks Shadowman.

Politik, it is the UK edition, and is an advertorial for Sure for Men deodorant. As far as I know, it is being split over 2 issues... first one being July, I think.
I do work for Mens Health UK quite often, and sometimes their articles appear in foreign editions (the German edition has just taken on a series of 3 illos I did a while back... I posted the image of the hovering iPod earphones invading the city with the car windows shattering.)

Altered Sky
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
haha wow you're awesome

Politik
06-04-2008, 04:52 AM
I wonder if the UK men are healthier than us :lol

If not the ads, i hope the articles and information is close :o.. Will still have a look

scottperezfox
06-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Whoa! Frakking brilliant.

Did you do _everything_, even the backgrounds? I think my fav is where the bloke is using that crazy computer interface device a la Minority Report.

dogtrombone
06-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Altered Sky... I assume you mean my physique in that shot?:lol

scott... thanks. I discussed the model shoot with Adrian, the photographer... lighting, angles etc, he did the shoot of the 2 models, and emailed me the images. In 3D I then set up the environments. Some of the 3D modelling I did myself, as well as buying stock 3D models, which I usually change a bit. I did some Photoshop work for the 3D texturing, set the materials, and lighting to relate to the people pics, and angles to match the people pics, and rendered the environments. The people images were added in to the environment afterwards in Photoshop, except for the "Minority Report" screen shot, there I included the image of the guy on an alpha plane in the render, as it was a better solution to get him looking like he was behind the plasma screens. I added the stuff on the screens in Photoshop. (I'm particularly chuffed with the addition of highlight and glow from the screen falling across his face.)

A good time was had by all!:)

interstellar
06-11-2008, 12:15 PM
On a rare foray outside of the photography forum... just had to say:

R E A L L Y G R E A T S T U F F !

dogtrombone
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks interstellar. I liaised with, and had some really good source photographs by Adrian Weinbrecht to work with, which really helped.

ms
06-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Too Cool!
How did you make the DNA strand in pic 3?
Amazing perspective.

johnfields
06-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Brilliant!

phosho
06-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Lol I was wondering how you got the picture of the reflection in the screen... very nice work, that third one really reminds me of the show firefly if anyone saw it before it got canceled...i believe it was on fox...but it really looks like one of the characters too.