PDA

View Full Version : A good telephoto

skeptic
04-25-2007, 02:17 AM
I am in dire need of a good telephoto lens. Well, actually I just want one really bad. I am willing to spend around $800 give or take. I like the Canon 70-200 f4 L, but I am concerned maybe that isn't quite enough focal length for me. I was also considering the Canon 75-300 Is USM. Does anyone have any suggestions?

juufa72
04-25-2007, 02:28 AM
if you want to purchase the 200, then go ahead because you can always buy extender tubes which will make it to about ~320mm also add on more if you have a 1.6 modifier on your camera (like I do on my 10D).

But the 300 is a nice lens.

Either way you can't go wrong with either. These are Canon's higher quality glass. They will last you a long time if taken care of, longer than you camera :lol

Hardy
04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
As to which will work for you it depends on what you're going to shoot & on what camera.

The canons below the 5D all have the 1.6 multiplier so you immediately get a focal length boost.

I have the 70-200 f4 L which I used all last year & love it! It's a bit short for the big sports arenas but I managed to get some nice shots with it. Plus it's even better value atm since the just released the IS version & everyone seems to be dumping thier stock of the non IS.

I've not used the 75-300 IS lens but of the canons are going to be decent!

I just bought the 100-400 L which is a bit of a beast! It's quite a weight to lug around all day and it really needs a monopod so I can't see it quickly replacing my 70-200 for a lot of events. That said it seems pretty nice!

The other ones I'd consider, depending on your subject matter, would be:

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 I considered this one for the extra stop but had no experience of their lenses so went for the canon L to be safe. I've since bought 2 other sigma lenses (28-70 f2.8 & 10-20) & I've been very impressed. From what I've read it's worth sticking to the EX models though.

Sigma 50-500. This seems to have a lot of fans & I did consider it when I bought the 100-400 but there were a couple of things that put me off - it was heaver than the canon! - the AF didnt work well in low light conditions. It wouldn't find anything inside the store but worked fine in the street. It's a bit above your price range but worth considering - especially if you can find a used one

Tokina 80 - 400. Not used one of these but tokina does have a good reputation & a bit cheaper than some of the other options.

Have a look at DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com) in the forums of lots of ideas & reviews

ęPSPRO27
04-25-2007, 09:06 PM
True, with a 1.6 crop body you're going to get alittle more range than on a FF. I would go with one of the L lenses. I have the 70-200L and absolutely love it. The L glass is very sharp and the over all IQ of the lens is superior.

[Edited on 4/25/2007 by ęPSPRO27]