PDA

View Full Version : So what' ya think? Honestly...

emperor
03-18-2003, 02:25 AM
Ok, I am almost done with my Oscar prediction web site. What do you think?
http://www10.brinkster.com/oscarempire/index

Base Effect
03-18-2003, 03:59 AM
looks good....the only thing that i would do is on the top image, i would add something in the black area....looks good though

Vi[Z]uN
03-18-2003, 04:34 AM
hmmm... very nice, but yeah add something to the top black, and also your links are a tad bit hard to read, so maybe make a little lighter color to go on top of that dark red!

Otherwise VERY NIC#E!

CYa

torevaal
03-18-2003, 06:50 AM
The layour is good....but the text in your menu is way too dark. Try a white or a light gray color for the text. Or change the BG color in the menu....

-Tore

Eric Pauker
03-18-2003, 08:05 AM
I can't read any of the text in the menu, and there is too much contrast between the different colors used for the backgrounds, it makes it hard to look at the screen. It would also be nice if the site fit itself to the available space in the browser, so there isn't a huge amount of white space on the right and bottom.

[Edited on 18-3-2003 by Eric Pauker]

loiosh
03-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Very nice. I agree about the links though.::cool:

emperor
03-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Thank you all who responded, I'm happy you liked it.

The black area on top, I'm hoping to have an advertisement placed there, so that I can sometime in the future be able to by my own server.

I have a question about the menu color problem. It's black, but it's in rollover so you should be getting white once you place your mouse over it. Is that not working or is it still bad and hard to read?

emperor
03-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Eric Pauker
It would also be nice if the site fit itself to the available space in the browser, so there isn't a huge amount of white space on the right and bottom.

I would LOVE to know how to do that.

Eric Pauker
03-18-2003, 09:30 PM
I have a question about the menu color problem. It's black, but it's in rollover so you should be getting white once you place your mouse over it. Is that not working or is it still bad and hard to read?

The problem is that you have to roll over ALL the menu items to see what they are, and unless you memorize where each one is you have to do this every time you want to use the menu.

Basic navigation rule: Don't hide the navigation from the end user.

emperor
03-18-2003, 10:03 PM

The problem is that you have to roll over ALL the menu items to see what they are, and unless you memorize where each one is you have to do this every time you want to use the menu.

Basic navigation rule: Don't hide the navigation from the end user.

Got it thanks. I think it was easy for me to see it all, because I knew where everything was. Thanks, will change that.

Eric Pauker
03-19-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by emperor

It would also be nice if the site fit itself to the available space in the browser, so there isn't a huge amount of white space on the right and bottom.

I would LOVE to know how to do that.

Use tables to enclose the entire site and set some widths and heights using percentages, not fixed amounts. Every site is going to be different, but as a general rule I do this:

1. Create cells for the corner pieces of the web site layout and use fixed widths and heights. use the 'img' tag in the cell to get the corner images to display.

2. Create cells for the edge pieces of the web site layout and use percentage width and heights. Use the 'background' attribute of the cell to include the edge images to dislpay. NOTE make sure the edge image can be repeated in the direction the cell will be streched.

3. Experiment a lot. it usually take a few attempts before the site looks good.

schemogroby
03-19-2003, 07:51 AM
[browser quote]
"The page cannot be found"
[/browser quote]

just to let ya know...

°gr0bY°