PDA

View Full Version : Does Cappy shoot/kill the owl?

Cappy
07-18-2004, 09:37 PM
In another thread it came about in one of Cappy's wanderings............. about the owl that Cappy took a picture of that was hanging around.......... and how Cappy saw it the other night on the garden post and how it swooped down into the garden and then a little time later flew out. It was too dark for Cappy to tell if it had something in its claws............. but Cappy thinks that it surely did!

Anyway, Cappy read that they kill other birds .......... song birds that Cappy loves to listen to and that are defenseless against such a strong bird. Sooooooooooooo..........

Does Capppy shoot the owl?

John Hughes
07-18-2004, 09:41 PM
:) Why not keep it, and train it to kill cats instead?

Realist
07-18-2004, 10:19 PM
(no offense phil)

it'll keep the rodent population down :D

i'd keep it

MartinLee
07-18-2004, 10:50 PM
i think owls are more in danger than song birds - also you should kill anything (including cats) lol

kristoficus
07-18-2004, 10:55 PM
I dont know how easily Owls adapt to being caged but if its ok then sure, keep him. Then train him to attack those damned door to door salesmen, kids playing chap the door runaway and those little kids selling macaroon and tablet.

BAHH HUMBUG! :lol

UniqueDesigns
07-18-2004, 11:46 PM
if u dont have any pets keep it

magneto243
07-18-2004, 11:55 PM
y bring the cats into it what did they ever do :lol id say keep it as a pet then you can awwwe all your friends that come over :D

PNeal
07-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Does Cappy live in the USA?
If you do, itÝs a federal offence to kill any birds of prey (incl. Eagles, Hawks, Falcons, and Owls). It carries heavy fines and possible prison time.
Just something to think aboutÍ :)

Titchimp
07-19-2004, 12:06 AM
well if cappy does live in the USA then dont kill it, chop off its claws and put them on the songbirds... now the tables have turned *insert evil laugh*

w@rtistic
07-19-2004, 12:43 AM
you should never kill birds of prey or even predators in general,they keep this earth clean taking out the weak and the sick,creating a healty gen pool.
something what humans lost long time ago thats why we have a lot of deadly virussus,wars over population and stuff,
NO IM NOT saying you should take out any old or sick person you come across:lol
just try to point out how predators keep nature in balance.

Digi Pixie
07-19-2004, 02:38 AM
I wonder how many song birds & owls have been killed by humans populating their habitat?

Without doing any kind of research, I'd say that humans, & the species humans have introduced, such as cats, have done a lot more harm to the environment in your little part of the world than the owls have.

We have a drought in the South-East of Australia at the moment, despite the fact that it's mid-winter... The kangaroos are converging on the cities in search of water, it's just so dry. The roos get very terratorial about their water supplies, understandably. There was a story on the news about someone walking their Golden Retriever in a park...it went down to the edge of a lake to take a drink & a kangaroo actually drowned it!

Firstly, the kangaroo population Australia-wide has boomed unnaturally due to human intervention. Secondly, the fact that farmers have descended on the kangaroos' habitat with their sheep & cattle has left the kangaroos struggling to find food & water.

What's being done about it? A mass kangaroo cull. The gov't is killing the native species in favour of the introduced ones, as primary production means money...at least in the short term until the land is utterly useless.

In short...do I think Cappy should kill the owl? No. The owl has more of a right to be there than Cappy does.

Phil_The_Rodent
07-19-2004, 02:59 AM
I think Cappy has every much right to a home as the Owl. I'm surprised you would say otherwise.

Digi Pixie
07-19-2004, 03:03 AM
Of course he has...but I was making my point in the context of humans being the introduced species in the owls habitat... And I am surprised that anyone would think otherwise & want to kill an owl because its acting out its instincts in its own environment.

I do tend to exaggerate a point to make it, I admit. Apologies if anyone took offence.

Fantasm
07-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Songbirds in the garden at night? If that were the case here I'd probably beg the owl to snatch them. (Kidding! No hate mail, please.)

Seriously, it's just nature going about its business and I'm betting that it was actually a 4-legged tidbit that was carried off. I wouldn't shoot the poor hooter.

magneto243
07-19-2004, 02:32 PM
he's just makin his living like all us peeps do am i right :)

Cappy
07-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Well Cappy thinks the whole thing came about protecting a weaker species.............Digi, Cappy occupies about 2% of the land he owns. The rest is up to the animals to do whatever............ so Cappy is not encroaching on the owl. Maybe man is but Cappy isn't.
Now, back to the owl.............. Cappy has Robins that love the garden because there are no pesticides in use and there are tons of earthworms................ now Cappy likes earthworms and they are good for his garden but he is not going to kill the Robin because it kills the earthworm.......
Thanks for the defense by the way, Phil....Cappy likes to think he has a right to live somewhere too...... actually the best point made so far, sorry Phil, is Realist and his point about the Rodent population:lol
PNeal Cappy thinks man has things so screwed up telling everyone what they can hunt and what they can't that they should just give it up. Look at Digi and the Kangaroo's and ask anyone driving in the northern forests about how heavy the deer population is................... and then there is the bear population.......... it isn't because man is encroaching...... just fly over Canada at night or Northern United States or the Rocky mountains......... there is tons of room............. the Roo's are probably coming in on man made water or lakes, right Digi? If that is true then the Roo's are encroaching on man and his talent at building lakes? They should let you hunt them and serve them up as food. Instead they will probably go into mass graves........what a waste as I am sure there are aboriginal tribes that are hungry and could benefit from such a hunt...........
Anyway, back to the owl...........

Digi Pixie
07-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Digi will post Cappy some roo burgers...:lol

Phil_The_Rodent
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Cappy
actually the best point made so far, sorry Phil, is Realist and his point about the Rodent population:lol

There can be only one...

:)

John Hughes
07-19-2004, 04:03 PM
:lol

myko
07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
leave a rodent out so it will come back.

magneto243
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
hey i just noticed something Phils a rodent better watch out for that owl Phil :lol :D

Fantasm
07-23-2004, 02:41 AM
A rodent? Tut, tut magneto. Phil is the Rodent. :lol