PDA

View Full Version : April Wallpaper

Digi Pixie
03-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Time goes so quickly...I feel like I'm making a monthly wallpaper every week!

Here's April's...I've gone for a collage type look. Rather than doing an autumn-toned one, I've made it more spring-like coz autumn here is when everything goes green again & the flowers come out after a dry summer. :)

APRIL (http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DigiPixie/April-04.jpg)

w@rtistic
03-30-2004, 11:58 AM
thats cool i like the butterflys :)

roogog
03-30-2004, 01:03 PM
nice one. the only thing i find distracting is the change to the womans mouth.

you're right about the months wizzing by :(

cfire
03-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Nice job Digi, and the butterflies are very appropriate for April here as well. In fact I saw my first few already the other day and my flowers are just beginning to bloom.

Unikum
03-30-2004, 02:34 PM
oooh summer is close now :D

dualdesigns
03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
WOW - I love this - mind if I post it on another forum I am on, they will LOVE it - it's not a graphic site - its a mom site but I want to ask first
I love it

SoonerDog
03-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Well another great job as usual. I sure like your calendars every month.

This one looks very spring-like with the pastel blue background, pink highlights, and the butterflies. I think the lady's green outfit blends very well with the background and adds to the overall spring feel.

Was the original picture of the lady in greyscale? If so, you did a great job colorizing it, and a perfect choice of colors.

Digi Pixie
03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Oh wow...thanks everyone for the quick response!

w@rtistic & Unikum...thanks!

cfire...I hope you post some pics of your garden when the flowers are out!

roogog...I know what you mean...I almost drew the woman's teeth on the vector part to integrate it more, but it's all about contrast afterall, so decided to go with simplicity...

Sure Amy...that's fine...spread it around!

SoonerDog...yes it was greyscale. I like colouring pics & hadn't done one in a while, so it was fun...lots of layer masks. And thankyou...I really appreciate the comments.

And thanks again everyone for your kind comments! I was a little iffy about this one...had a bit of trouble with the composition...so I really appreciate the feedback! :)

short stick
03-30-2004, 07:20 PM
i like the piece, i have to say it reminds me of a wallpaper in my grans house... lol, for that reason i find it wuite disturbing... nice colouring job on the lady too...
keep it up :)

zi:mm - 13 month? although i do agree they should be done as a calender pack :)

myko
03-30-2004, 11:45 PM
nice pattern and colors unique as always, cool.:)

j3lly
03-31-2004, 12:04 AM
Wow, everyone seems to be making calendar type picts, maybe I should hop on the bandwagon....

Anyways nice job.

emm
03-31-2004, 06:04 AM
As always, you do a great job. I love how you take all kinds of different tecniques and styles, and untraditional color combos, and they all go so well together. It's lovely!

Your calendar backgrounds should be collected and printed. :)

torevaal
03-31-2004, 07:32 AM
Looks good I like it.
Isn't the text abit low on the page. Many ppl har a thick startbar, such as my self, and I couldn't see the dates only the days.

-Tore

Digi Pixie
03-31-2004, 11:39 AM
Rev...13 months? Man, you're greedy! Aren't 12 months enough for you? :lol

short stick, myko & j3lly...thanks for the comments! :)

emm...thanks so much for the feedback...that really means a lot to me! As for printing...as I designed them at screen res they'd be postage stamp size in print! :lol

torevaal...good point! I have my start bar on autohide. I'll take that into consideration next time! :)

j3lly
03-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Lol reverend :lol

masterworks
04-01-2004, 03:52 PM
as usual ur pic is stunning again now my question is where do u find all those great pics like the background and the lady u collored I really love the way with those squaren at that lady.
I want to know where I can find those paterns.

By the way isn't time to build ur own website with your artwork on it.
It would be great i quess

LennyMontana
04-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Classy job pixie.

you have a very natural eye for a good design. :-)

is the actual background wallpaper a william morris?

i dont really use wallpapers (mainly because i so rarely see my desktop!) but i think i will break a rule this month!

Thanks
Théo

Digi Pixie
04-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Rev...if I ever earn as much money as Gary Larson, I'll make you a 14 month calender! :P

Masterworks...that particular pattern is from a Dover book of copyright free historical design. I chose a section of it, halved & flipped it so it was symetrical, & modified it so it would tile smoothly. I've been buying those Dover books (& other books of that type) for years...I have heaps of them...they're a great source of inspiration.

http://www.doverbooks.co.uk/

As for the pic of the woman...I also collect vintage magazines...mainly from the 40s & 50s & have a huge collection. Ebay is a great place to buy them...as well as 2ndhand shops & markets. I get a lot of my images & inspiration from them. A lot of them are public domain these days...but you have to take care not to use anything still under copyright. I also have a good friend who collects old photos & he very kindly lets me scan them to use in my work too!

I love using vintage graphics in my work...but try not to just imitate & do simple pastiche work...I try to give my designs a contemporary edge & put something of myself into them too. How successful I am is another matter! :lol

Oh yes...& a website is well overdue, but as I know nothing about web design (& really don't want to know) yet still want full creative control over the way it looks...it's been an unpleasant task I've been putting off! :)

John...Thankyou! But I have a guilty secret...:(...I used a filter to achieve that effect...I am but a mere mortal! :lol It's India Ink by Flaming Pear (http://www.flamingpear.com/indiaink.html) & you can choose lots of different halftone patterns with it. I use the screen patterns in bitmap mode a lot, but the beauty of this filter is it gives a more flawed, less mechanical result. I thought it looked like a postmark too...I went for the wavy lines as it has movement & draws your eye into the centre of the design. I've overlayed a paper texture so it has a less clean, more printed look.

LM...Thankyou so very much! I'm very chuffed by your comments & would be honoured if you'd bend your No Wallpaper rule for the month of April...thanks for the feedback! As for the pattern...no it's not a William Morris, but looks quite a lot like one, doesn't it? I suspect all of his stuff would be under copyright. It's actually a 16th century German design... I'm trying to design my own repeat patterns of a similar style at the moment...not easy! :)

Thanks again everyone!!!

emm
04-02-2004, 09:45 AM
:roll Dover books! :roll