PDA

View Full Version : golden border ?

praiits
03-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Does anybody know how to get a golden border to just the two sides of an image, say a sheet of offwhite paper ?

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by praiits]

Viika
03-29-2004, 11:30 AM
you have to upload your image to some server, it won't just pop up in your post from your computer :)

praiits
03-29-2004, 11:35 AM
You get the picture now viika, can u help me?

Viika
03-29-2004, 11:40 AM
i can't see the picture, but could you tell more about the effect you want to achieve so we can help you :)

for example, you want the lines to be just simply flat, or you want to add some shadows for example? or do you mean lines that look like they were real gold?

praiits
03-29-2004, 11:51 AM
I have an offwhite paper, whch has a little bit of a rustic look. I want to create a golden border which looks like real gold, something like we see on the borders of wedding invitations. Hope ur getting it.

In the meanwhile I'm trying to find some place where I can upload the image.

Viika
03-29-2004, 11:55 AM
send it to me viika@jippii.fi

and i will host it until you find a proper host, if you want. I'll u2u the address then so you can tag it to your post.

praiits
03-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanx viika, I have emailed u a copy. Also u can find it on this link.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by praiits]

UniqueDesigns
03-29-2004, 12:19 PM
http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/diamonds/diamonds.htm

steps 5-8 hope this helps

Viika
03-29-2004, 12:33 PM
now i can see something but it's HUGE!! You must resize it, the max allowed size is 60kb and that one is about 940kb

praiits
03-29-2004, 01:31 PM
I tried that UD, but it gives a very metalic look to the whole image. It looks like its cut out of a sheet of gold. Actually I'm looking for a more softer look. Like some gold paint on the sides.

Digi Pixie
03-29-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure quite what effect you're going for...but I did this gold edging by making a gradient of the kinds of colours you'd get reflected in gold...from very dark to very light...& then adjusting the curves to increase the gold-like effect. Very easy...

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DigiPixie/Gold-Edge.jpg

praiits
03-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Yes Digi, similar kind of golden effect I'm looking for ! I tried creating the gradient, though I'm not sure how to get it only on the sides(stroke applies to top and bottom as well) and how to get the shine like u have.

Digi Pixie
03-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Is your border on its own layer...if not, you'll have to make another on a layer above your paper texture. Use the marquee tool or the line tool to get the stripes you want on the sides (any colour) & then lock the transparency & apply a linear gradient on a diagonal (it will only apply the gradient to the sides). As I said...to get the shine, play with levels or curves to increase the contrast...if this affects your colours too much, you can reapply the gradient with the mode set to colour. Keep in mind that my gradient contained somewhere between 10-20 different hues/shades. If you're not sure about picking the right colours, sample a few colours with the eyedropper from a photo of some real gold.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by Digi Pixie]

Phil_The_Rodent
03-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Are you trying to create the "look" or are you wanting a foil or Pantone Metallic ink for an offset job? Because the processes will be FAR different.

Digi Pixie
03-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Well I assumed it was just for the "look" & not for print at all, but who knows...

praiits
03-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Well, I'm looking for a golden border to this piece. I plan to give this to print on glossy pamphlets. Though this is not the final piece, its just the begining...I have a long way to go yet.

http://216.117.140.37/gifs/goldencopy.gif

Phil_The_Rodent
03-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Didn't really answer the question... are you printing a metallic ink, or are you looking to lay down foil, or are you printing process and want to create a "look" of gold?

praiits
03-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Sorry Phil, if I wasn't sounding clear. However though I'm not very clear about these technical jargons related to printing. :( All I'm trying to say is, I'm just creating a softcopy of an advt, (maybe it is called artwork?) which i will be sending for printing. I'm no way involved in the printing part. Hope this time my point gets thru !

I wish if you could confirm, what digi suggests will work in this case? Or help me if otherwise.

Phil_The_Rodent
03-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Yes, if you just want the look, her way seems best (especially the sampling of an image of real gold part). It's the one I'd go with for anything web or 4-colour process related (eg. for a magazine). Just wanted to make sure... :)

praiits
03-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Thanx Phil & Digi for the valuable inputs. :notworthy

Also, it would be great if you guys could pls clarify on one more thing, since you guys seem to be an ace in this area. For this purpose I have been using color mode:CMYK and resolutions 200pixels/inch. Is this appropriate for the clarity when the output has to be printed that too on glossy paper?

The problem I face with CMYK mode is not all the filters are enabled. Is there a better solution to this?

Digi Pixie
03-30-2004, 06:02 AM
The most common print res is 300dpi...but check with the printer.

You can work in RGB & convert to CMYK if you want to use the filters, but take care to ensure your colours are within the CMYK gamut or you'll get a nasty surprise when you convert. :)

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by Digi Pixie]

praiits
03-30-2004, 06:17 AM
Hmm...Thanx digi..that was real quick ! :)

Now I feel reassured ! This forum & the people here are Incredible !