PDA

View Full Version : Music Industry

mkeefe
12-31-2003, 06:24 PM
I wrote this in response to a post regarding Product Activiation!
------------------------------------------------------

Everyone speaks of the RIAA losing money, but had you realized that ever since the birth of tapes the record industry has been crying about lost profits. They said that now you could borrow your friends record and then make a copy of it, so this crying from the industry is not new it just never ends. Usually most people that steal music had no intention of buying it, or on the flip side some people download music in order to demo a CD with no limitations and then go out and buy it. Now of course both of these excuses are highly unethical and illegal, but people still do it anyway.

When Napster™ came around I am sure you or someone you know loaded it and downloaded that one hit from XYZ band, You know the band that you would never spend 18 dollars for if you had never heard it, but because you heard it on Napster™ you then went to a music store and bought the CD knowing fully well what you were about to receive.

Another interesting fact about the RIAA. Did you know that half the time when a Label cries about the "evil" rippers they are actually the one that "leaked" the track or the whole cd? They create buzz about the cd prior to it being released, and what better buzz than "we have been forced to move the release date ahead due to pirating". Come on why is it that only the top artists have their stuff leaked, and also don't you think these Executives would keep a better eye on the people around them. Of course the best one I ever heard was that the CD Pressing Company is probably the one leaking the music. Why would a company that is making money give up their clients work?

[END RANT]
------------------------------------------------------
O.K. I am done now, I just had to get that off my chest. Comments are welcome, but keep them clean and don't turn this in to a flame war. I will be forced to delete it if that occurs.

big_P
12-31-2003, 07:07 PM
RIAA sucks !:lol

TechZsue
12-31-2003, 07:28 PM
This topic boils my brain. I'm tired of the whining about lost profits. The record industry has been cheating consumers for years but worse, is that they do the same to the artists. The consumer can afford it but the starving musicians cannot. Which of course doesn't make it right to just download stuff, but there is a bit of the revenge factor that makes me laugh.

It's nice to see that the light came on for a few and instead of crying the blues and suing college students, they decided instead, to invest in a better business model to accommodate changing consumer needs. Helloooo??!! Why did it take so long?

People will continue to swap music(most of which happens outside the U.S. but we're the only ones stupid enough to keep the lawyers going and sue) but now 'honest' consumers have an option to buy quality music off the internet at affordable prices. Hurray for those who had a vision instead of being blinded by greed!

At our house we use Rhapsody. For $10 a month you can listen to anything and everything which is the feature most used by us. Occasionally we download songs ($.75) or just go out and buy the cd. We rarely buy anything without checking it out first. Is anybody stupid enough to do that? Wow!

Here is something interesting. I heard that record sales decreased 40% after Napster was shut down. How come we never hear a thank you for the free advertising we provide by 'sharing' our music? By sharing I mean I buy a cd and my friend buys another one...and we share.

I have a small confession to make. When I was in my teens I had a small tape recorder that was always on stand by to record my favorite song off the radio. The dj would blah blah through the intro to the song but hey, it was still good.

My uncle worked for the city collecting waste and during spring clean up I get a ton of new 45's that someone threw in the garbage, but my cousins and I happily shared....I had no clue that it was illegal.

the good news is that listening has contributed a great deal to my love for music. i have single handedly supported the economy by spending huge amounts of money on instuments, music gear, song books, music playing media devices, concert tickets, cd's, etc. where is the thanks very much for the profits off of that?

mkeefe
12-31-2003, 09:12 PM
@tech

See that is exactly what I am talking about why would you buy a crappy cd from Britney just because they say it is good. The they is the RIAA. Why would they say no don't by this fabricated Band's CD. Oh and what happened to knowing an artist because their cd went Platinum, now if your cd doesn't go platinum it is no good. Do you know what this does to the Garage Bands and the friends that actaually still get together, burn a demo in the basement of their house and actually drive it to the Radio Station.

Well Clear Channel is a whole other argument they own almost every station.

And just so everyone knows I dont use itunes, or buy my music, I listen to XM, 100 streams of quality music, and If I don't like the song I change the channel.

.99 for one song. 10 songs is a 1 month subscription to XM.
Go check out Xm here (http://www.xmradio.com)

scottperezfox
01-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Heres one thing that is not often discussed - what about music by artist who are deceased? The artists can't call up the newspapers like Metallica did and throw a bit fit. While the families might get some royalties, its essentially profit for the record companies. You figure the more people die, the less money record companies have to pay to their artists.

One more reason I have no sympathy for the RIAA and such.

mutiny
01-01-2004, 01:38 AM
me as an upstanding citizen would never download from napster or kazaa or winmx or edonkey or emule.with that out the way i would like to say the Riaa sucks, all those no talent ass clown are way over payed and i like the hard working bands that never make it big but just play for there fans.

Pitch Black
01-01-2004, 01:58 PM
as for the companies involved i don't have one iota of symptathy for them at all. Despise Simon Cowl and Pete Waterman. Creators of Pop Idol and Wannabies! :mad:

[Edited on 1-1-2004 by Pitch Black]