PDA

View Full Version : floral bouquet....transformed

anne54
12-20-2002, 02:08 AM
I started with an antique color print of a
pretty vase of flowers; which is nice but I wanted to turn it into my own artwork.
It took quite a few hours to finish because I am still into the learning stage of doing this kind of art.

Here is the original print

http://www.stamphistory.net/temp/bouquet.jpg

Here is the early stage of the work I did.

http://www.stamphistory.net/temp/bouquet2.jpg

And this is the finished piece. Please critique.

http://www.stamphistory.net/temp/bouquet3.jpg

thanks for any advice.

Anne

TurtleT9
12-20-2002, 02:15 AM
I have to say, that is some darn fine transformation. I really didn't like the original image, a little too drab. But you made it vibrant and colorful. Great work, keep it up. :D

anne54
12-20-2002, 02:24 AM
Thanks Turtle......(smiles)

anne

Stellor
12-20-2002, 06:26 AM
As TurtleT9 said, very colorful, and if you were looking for a radial blur look this is fine, I personally don't think it does anything for the great job you did on the colors, but I need to dwell on it :lol for a while to come up with something more appropriate.

Sam

Stellor
12-20-2002, 08:16 AM
That was dumb, how can I think of what would be more appropriate for you?? How about, widen the frame and add a beveled mat?

Sam

TraXter
12-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Very nice! The transforming made the pic. more "modern", you gave it a new life! :D Very nice...

scottperezfox
12-20-2002, 01:41 PM
lose the radial zoom blur. Very amateur-looking. I am not crazy about the border either. I myself like the middle stage better than the final.

cybrghst
12-20-2002, 02:29 PM
beautiful transformation here, the old pic was a little bland. This is vibrant. I do agree with the radial zoom blur, you lose the quality of a terrific piece. The middle stage is perfect i would have stopped there, because it looks more natural and rough which is very nice. I also think a few more highlights on some of the yellow roses would help it out a tad too. My final crit would be the frame, I think maybe a nice antique frame would fit this piece well. Very nice job..keep it up..

anne54
12-20-2002, 11:33 PM
thanks everyone for the nice remarks, and also for the constructive criticisms.

I too had a hard time deciding which version I liked best. I decided on the radial blur because it is more eccentric, more modern.

It was not a simple thing like clicking on the radial zoom blur and I am done. At first the zoom showed up only on the upper half of the pic, and not at all on the bottom half. But I liked it so I selected the bottom portion of the image, feathered the selection, and applied the zoom there several times until it looked in sync with the upper half. The zoom blur was too stark so I gaussian blurred it slightly.
Then more manual editing...........

Thanks again
Anne

uk2usadaz
12-20-2002, 11:56 PM
I like the second one best.
Not keen on the radial zoom blur version.
Very nice anna.

anne54
12-22-2002, 12:08 AM
Thank you very much Daz. All of this has given me much food for thought. The one I like best, others don't.

How do you know what people are going to like when you make your decisions?

Anne

cfire
12-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Nice job Anne. :) Are you planning to sell prints or market this to a client? If not, do what you like, if so I have to agree with the others regarding the blur. I like the black border but would lose the brown beveled bit. :)

natpoit
12-24-2002, 12:24 PM
very nice! i like the 2nd without blur.
Good work! :)

tewu
12-24-2002, 05:29 PM
I'd make some petals in the foreground sharper (to do it properly like in a regular painting - "lost and found edges"), you can do it with historical and art historical brush for some remarkable results.:)

Fire-Proof
12-24-2002, 05:33 PM
That's incredible.:notworthy

One thing though, maybe you should lose all the bevels on the mat and just make it black with a white outline and lose the thing on the inside of the mat.

Could you show us what it would look without the blur?